carrots in my broccoli cheddar soup?

I'm making broccoli cheddar soup, and I realize that I don't have any carrots! Are they essential to a delicious broccoli cheddar soup?

asked by Nicole Pielle about 2 years ago

Not at all. I often make broccoli soup without them. I do like the bit of color and sweetness they add, but they aren't necessary.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I agree with Susan. I often make broccoli soup and while I find carrots add a nice sweetness they aren't necessary especially if you're topping with cheddar cheese.

Nicole Pielle

Okay, thank you! Is there another way to add a little sweetness? Or is it necessary to have sweetness?

Slow cooked onions would add a sweetness. Here is Merrill's broccoli soup. It contains no carrots or onions, but the method of cooking the broccoli makes it richly flavored. It's my go to broccoli soup recipe. I often add carrots and onions, but it's not necessary.

https://food52.com/recipes...

Nicole Pielle

Hi Susan! Thank you for your advice. I messed up my soul! I think I added too much cheese! Is there a fix for this?

Oh that's too bad. The only thing I can think of is make more broccoli soup and combine them.