Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Cooking a steak

Being a veg, steak is not my expertise, but I was asked by a friend with little expertise in the kitchen how a steak (ribeye on the bone) should be cooked indoors. What is the easiest and best way to do this right? I'm assuming cast iron and grill pan are not in the picture.

asked by ATG117 almost 3 years ago

Then a broiler in the oven and a piece of aluminum foil are your best friend. Sear the steak on the stove in the best pan your friend has (that will take high heat) for 1 minute on each side, then finish for 2-3 minutes on each side under the broiler in the oven in the aluminum foil (make it to look like a small pan, keep the top open) depending on how done they want the steak. Let rest, tented, for at least 5 minutes.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

The best way to cook a steak is outside over a wood charcoal fire. But of course with this nationwide frost sweeping the country that's not an option. I'm not a big fan of steaks in the broiler. If you do have access to a ridged grill pan that's the best indoor way to go. Make sure you have a ceiling fan going. Cooking time depends on the thickness of the steak. And yes, it should rest before carving.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

This may be helpful for technique : http://food52.com/recipes...
I usually pan sear rib eyes on med-high in a heavy skillet on the stove top to so a crust forms rubbed with olive oil or butter & S & P. Make sure the steak is room temperature before searing on the stovetop. I then place the oven sake skillet in the oven at 400 F and to finish checking for medium rare with a thermometer. Warn your friend if she's lives in an apt. the alarm may go off.