Make ahead hors d'oeuvres?

I'm hosting 6 friends at my house for heavy hors d'oevres/light dinner next Tuesday night, but will be away for the long weekend and arriving back that morning, then at work all day. Essentially, I have time this week (today and tomorrow) to cook, then a couple of hours on Tuesday night to prep.

I'd love your ideas for some hors d'oeuvres that can be made and frozen and then assembled the day of! Thank you!

• Posted by: katie
  • February 11, 2015

Voted the Best Reply!

keg72
keg72 February 11, 2015

Gougeres freeze very well. Bake them either all the way or just a minute shy of done today and, freeze in Ziploc bags and then reheat for like 5 minutes at 350. Most things with puff pastry freeze well. You could make palmiers. Cheese straws or any savory shortbreads would be great. Two other ideas that don't involve the freezer are to make a great dip or spread tomorrow that will hold until Monday and then pair that with crostini or vegetables -- eg on endive. Or, one more, make a remoulade today and then just roast some shrimp on Tuesday -- which will take just a couple of minutes of your time.

sexyLAMBCHOPx February 11, 2015

minced chicken in butter lettuce cups - filling and make-ahead.

sexyLAMBCHOPx February 11, 2015

mini potato pancakes can be made-ahead as well and served at room temperature.

Nancy February 11, 2015

Also the mini potato pancakes can be fried, frozen and then heated in a medium oven.

irina
irina February 11, 2015

Dates and bacon. Mini frittatas. Sauteed baby artichokes and cremini in wine for
crostini topping.
Cheers

Nancy February 11, 2015

A few ideas using ready made puff pastry or pie dough. shape mini tarts in mini muffin cups. Bake blind. Freeze now, then defrost & fill on night of party with 1-2 tbsp each of a chicken or beef stew you love. Bake & serve. Or fill the baked blind shells with a savory cheesecake filling (rhubarb stilton, fig pesto or the like). Freeze. Night of party move them from freezer to oven, bake and serve. You can use the same pattern ( store bought dough, partially bake now, freeze, finish on night of party) with mini pizzas, sauced say, with red sauce, white sauce, green sauce...for an Italian flag platter).

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen February 11, 2015

My Little Mushroom Pinwheels and Holiday Cocktail Meatballs can be made ahead. Freeze the meatballs and sauce separately and then thaw and warm together. Freeze the pinwheel rolls now and then slice and bake the night of your party.

ChefJune February 11, 2015

These Spinach Balls are great to make ahead and keep in your freezer all the time. https://food52.com/recipes...

Healthline
Healthline February 11, 2015

This Garlic Mushroom dish is great because it can be served hot or at room temperature, and it doesn't require a lot of ingredients! http://www.healthline.com/health-recipes/garlic-mushrooms

Sam1148 February 11, 2015

Stuffed mushroom caps..freeze and then bake.
Or Tuscan Chicken Liver Pate:
https://food52.com/recipes...
You'd just need to slice and toast the baguettes.
Serve the Pate in a 'clamp style' 1/2 height mason jar. Or use the top of a butter dish lined with plastic wrap to form little loafs. It'll keep in the fridge several days..and needs to firm up if you make ahead--I think it would freeze well.

In fact keep that theme up. Instead of traditional made bits of stuff. Pull out a large wooden cutting board and plate some Charcuterie. Sliced good meats, little bowls of mustard, baskets of bread and home made crackers (make ahead and store), or watercracker.
Another plate with cheeses. Go to the home depot/lowes this week and get some black slate tiles. Walgreen for food safe mineral oil. and oil up some tiles for serving.
http://mindyknows.com/tag/make-your-own-slate-cheese-board/