app/small bites for heavy meal
I'm cooking for my boyfriends parents. We are a small group of just 4.
Alison Romans Braised Short Ribs, served over papardelle
What easy and/or make ahead finger food would you suggest to start the night (considering the hearty meal and small group)
Recommended by Food52
A small bowl of assorted nuts or “cheese coins”, & that’s all you need!
If you decide to remove one of the carbs in the main meal, that leaves room to use one of them in the appetizers.
Whether you stick to original menu or revise it, here are ideas:
• Danish sandwiches, mini (your choice)
• Fish, smoked or marinated, on crackers or canapes
• Pasta filled & fried, with dipping sauces (many examples from around the world, e.g., ravioli, samosa, kreplach)
• Pickles or pickled salad, alone or with some of the others
• Puff pastries, with savory fillings.
• Radishes with unsalted butter and slices of baguette
• Soup in shot glasses
• Tapas w/o bread - Spanish Tortilla, garlic shrimp, fried squid.
• Zakuski (Russian appetizers), 2 or 3
Drinks (depending on your food choices)
• Champagne, sherry or a regular wine that goes with your choices
• Tequila or vodka, iced
Perhaps the cheese board and nuts, as suggested by PHIL, with some fresh fruit -- grapes, cherries, strawberries, etc. -- to go along with 2 or 3 different types of cheese and crackers. Easy to assemble!
shrimp cocktail , you can get shrimp already cooked.
smoked salmon fresh dill, creme fresh, toast points