Eggs

I have a bunch of eggs, uncooked but out of shells, in a container in the refrigerator. How long will these stay good for? They were from the farmers market originally , in case that makes a difference...

asked by ATG117 over 4 years ago

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Hi ATG117-- I'd go a few days or so assuming everything was clean clean at cracking time and the fridge is cold. (There are a million answers for this, though!) Can you separate out the whites and freeze them? That would buy some time.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Pooled eggs should never be stored according to ServSafe. The bacteria from one egg can very easily spread from one to another. I would throw them out. Better to be safe than sorry.

ATG117

Can't separate the whites at this point. I originally cracked them for a recipe I didn't end up making.

You can separate them! Dip you hand into the container, gently scooping one yolk at at time into your fingers. Lift it out and spread your fingers enough so that the white can drain back into the container, Gently bring your fingers back together, pinching off the dripping white. Drop the yolk into a separate container. Repeat until all are separated. Whisk the yolks together before freezing them. If you should happen to break a yolk while separating them, just know that you won't be able to whip them later on, as the fats in the yolks will not permit whipping. But you can certainly use them for other purposes.

ATG117

They are already beaten together re the can't separate them at this point, but thanks.

Okay, on to plan B. Yes, as amysarah suggests, you can certainly freeze them as is.

I think you can freeze beaten eggs - don't know for how long. Maybe you could them in 3-4 tablespoon increments (approx. one egg) then defrost as needed for cooking, baking, etc.

ATG117

Thanks. I was really wondering how long they'd keep in the refrigerator before I should ditch them.

Maybe make a frittata to keep in the fridge for a meal or two, then freeze?

ATG117

not looking to freeze, but thanks