An unusual question about poaching eggs

2e9d8bda a7da 46f3 ade3 b4c28f34aee9  photo

So we're having a brunch tomorrow for 8 adults and 4 kids. I wasn't sure what to make until I was walking through the farmer's market and saw the egg pictured below. Voila! I'll make Eggs Benedict served family-style.

Just one question -- how long do you think I should poach this egg?

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

TiggyBee

I'll put a call into my Uncle, the ostrich farmer and get back to you,

Burnt Offerings

Sam1148 - that's brilliant.

Peter - you BETTER post a "Caveman Brunch" recipe for this one with photos please!

Burnt Offerings

I just noticed the price! $30??? And it would appear 2/3rds of that is for the shell (which presumably you're going to break). 2 dozen eggs for a dozen people - even organic eggs - in Manhattan - have to be

I had a friend that used to make those decorated egg, jewelry box things. And those shells are tough! Hey, you could boil it to soft boil, and set it upright in a big egg cup and use a dremell tool to wack off the top and give everyone spoons. Or better year, set it on a fondue burner and give every one toast cubes and fondue forks.

Ask Merrill - she just got back from Africa, surely she took an ostrich egg poaching class or something?

Let's do the math - if one ostrich egg = 2 dozen eggs, and it takes x minutes to poach one regular egg, let's multiple that time by 12. My question is, what are you going to poach it in? Please take photos of this endeavour and share them with us.
MrsHenry has a bathtub in her kitchen and asked just this a.m. what to do with it. You could poach the egg in her tub, possibly.

Burnt Offerings

Do you have a Hot Tub? ;-)

Well, you should be able to make a great hollandaise with that monster. I have a couple of goose eggs hanging around that I've been using in Asian style dishes.

pauljoseph

Make an Indian style Egg Omelet curry do you want the recipe?

innoabrd

FWIW, my favorite South African cookbook says it is the equivalent of two-dozen chicken eggs. They recommend an omelette...

PaulJoseph, please post recipe!