A question about a recipe: My Chocolate-Orange Birthday Cake

4028395d 420a 4f29 891c 1169689b3642  choc cake 1

I have a question about the recipe "My Chocolate-Orange Birthday Cake" from drbabs. Can I omit the chocolate without altering proportions? My sister wants an orange cake with chocolate buttercream (I can't convince her to go ganache) and thought removing the cocoa powder and espresso is the easiest base for the cake. Will the orange be strong enough? Thanks!

asked by Danizmango almost 5 years ago

You might consider making a different cake. Sdebrango's Tender Yellow Cake is lovely, and you can simply add orange zest to it. I imagine it would be heavenly with your chocolate buttercream. http://food52.com/recipes...

I agree with Cynthia. I'd add orange to Sdebrango's yellow cake, rather than leave the chocolate out of this one. Happy birthday to your sister!

Danizmango

Thank you Cynthia and Barbara. I have a yellow butter cake that is my go to birthday cake, but I've never converted it to a citrus cake. Cynthia, you think adding zest but not swapping orange juice for any of the liquid would do the trick? Thanks!

LE BEC FIN

i would add a LOT of orange zest and grind it in a mini processor with the sugar to really get the flavor. and i'd also use OJ for part of liquid. do you have m stewart's Entertaining? she has an orange almond torte that i made for wedding cakes for 30 yrs. i added ground bittersweet chocolate bits to the cake and used a choc ganache between the layers and then a grand marnier buttercream over all. my personal fav cake (but then it's really a nut torte.)

LE BEC FIN

http://food52.com/recipes...

p.s. as said by the others, you cannot just remove the cocoa powder. you prob would need to sub flour for it but dr babs will best know how to do that.

Danizmango

Made my butter cake with the zest of two oranges thrown in with the sugar and subbing a touch of the milk with fresh juice. It was great, definitely orange enough, and a hit. Thanks for all the advice!

littleman

Great to hear; thanks for letting us know!

LE BEC FIN

yay! your sister is a lucky girl!