Yay or nay: Chocolate lime?

Does this flavour combo make sense? I know chocolate orange is nice, but I was thinking if trying a chocolate lime combo instead. It would be chocolate cupcakes with lime buttercream icing. Thoughts? Vote yay or nay?

asked by Sylvia9000 almost 5 years ago

petitbleu

I would say yea. At the very worst, the flavor combination wouldn't be offensive, and frankly, chocolate really benefits from a sharp citrus flavor. It's a solid idea--not as conventional as chocolate-orange, but all the more reason to give it a go.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

And please report your results back here, because some of us are up to our kneecaps in limes...

nashama

Probably delicious, like all other citrus/chocolate combos. White chocolate and lime are classic together. I would be mindful of how dark the chocolate is against how sweet or tart you make the frosting. I feel like deep chocolate with sweeter frosting for balance, or milkier cupcakes with a tart bite on top maybe?

I love Candied Grapefruit Peels with dark chocolate coating, but never thought about lime. Why not? You won't find out until you try. White chocolate and lime works, but then white chocolate isn't really chocolate at all...

NYNCtg

Years ago my mother-in-law gave me a lime hard candy that had a chocolate center. I was not aware of the chocolate center and found it an unpleasant surprise. When I asked her what it was she answered Chocolate Lime, in a tone that said what are you stupid. Apparently this is a common flavour combo in Britain. It may have been better if I was prepared for it. Give it a try, but don't surprise folks.

I once had key lime pie where the crust was 'lined' with a thin coating of dark chocolate...the flavors worked well together. I say give it a go.

graci

yay, especially with a little bit of sea salt and a darker chocolate