Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

26778bac 7510 494f 9a1d a112457ba2b3  photo

I just finished baking a chocolate orange loaf cake. I pulled it out of the oven to discover a giant crater in the center of it. It smells wonderful and I am sure it will taste fine, but I'm testing the recipe for a bridal shower in a couple of weeks and don't want to serve a crater cake! A quick run-down of ingredients: butter, dark corn syrup, brown sugar, eggs, flour, cocoa, baking soda, orange zest, orange juice and eggs.

Also, I live in Denver (high altitude) and it's 40 degrees and pouring outside. Would the weather affect my baking that much? How do I control that environment? I attached a picture if that helps anyone suss out my situation better.

Thank you!

asked by liamoran about 6 years ago

The altitude is a much greater factor than the weather, especially in your case, where you are up so high. There is another thread here on foodpickle about the effect of altitude on baking, which you should consult. I included a link to a site with a lot of helpful information; I also provided the title/author of a book recommended by someone in Deer Valley, which at an altitude that's just a bit less than yours. Good luck!! ;o)

E92118ac 6309 46d5 87d2 497f9b5e8683  img 5215

Thanks Antonia...I didn't get the link? Can you post it again?

Here is the link to the prior discussion on foodpickle. I see that the link there is for the book.

http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

The Fresh Loaf altitude blog mentioned in one of the two other foodpickle threads seems very helpful for baking bread, but probably won't be much help for trouble shooting the cake.

Try this one: Rose Levy Beranbaum is the real deal. http://www.realbakingwithrose...

On one of the other foodpickle threads, I copied and pasted some rules of thumb from my oven's manual. You might want to check your own manual to see if there is anything in there, as well. Have fun!! ;o)

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

Did you cut into it? Is is fully cooked in the center? It sounds delicious! Joy of Cooking has a high altitude gingerbread recipe that says to reduce baking soda by 1/4 tsp. if baking at 7500 ft., and reduce by 1/2 tsp. if baking at 10,000 ft. The recipe starts out with 3/4 tsp. baking soda per 2+1/3 cups flour for baking at 5000 ft. Maybe decrease the baking soda?

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Could be having problems for many reasons, but high altitude might be the biggest. I have read that a higher-protein flour, like King Arthur, or a bread flour is better for high altitudes. Don't use Dutch Process cocoa - you need the acidity to set the cake. And careful with the amount of liquid - you might have a bit too much. It would seem like you'd be better off increasing the liquid due to the dry air, but Beranbaum says the opposite is true: http://www.realbakingwithrose...

And check out Susan Purdy's book Pie In The Sky for great help: http://www.amazon.com/Pie...

Good luck!

73cd846c b69c 41fe 8f8b 7a3aa8dd3b93  desert

Just to add to the discussion, it looks like it might have been pulled too early or didn't set as mrslarkin point out. In addition to the recommendations I would also put a oven thermometer in your oven or a digital read out probe in to see what the actual temp of the oven is compared to what the recipe temp calls for. Also, I'm guessing this happened during cooling and that if the edges were cooked but still not cooked in the center at that point you can turn the oven down and continue for a little longer but don't dry it out. Due to the altitude it may be as simple as extending the cooking time a bit.

C7510721 e177 481e 8125 7c4d04f5c4e8  canposter

Everyone is so timely with such great info. I was going to suggest what Donny just said. I've had to make similar adjustments even in slight elevations. Good luck.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

I live at sea level in Washington State, and the 30-year-old recipe I have for Hershey brownies came out looking exactly like your photo. We called them "Caldera Brownies." My sons never cared what it looked like, they loved this brownie. The recipe fills an 8"x8" pan, and I tweaked it by reducing the baking soda (or baking powder) by 1/16 (a pinch) and adding an additional tablespoon of flour, and poof! no more caldera. Even better, the taste wasn't affected one bit.

If you don't have it, you might pick up a copy of Colorado Cache. It is a junior league cookbook put together ages ago (probably 30 years ago?) and still in print. Has some good high altitude baking tips in general and all of the recipes are tested at high altitude.

There are several other successor books, but Calorado Cache remains a classic!