Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Dan Barber's Braised Short Ribs

Bd9d58a4 cc9c 4679 85a1 bacc43995ba3  5349824048 0f7d18165a z

I have a question about the recipe "Dan Barber's Braised Short Ribs" from Amanda Hesser. Would pomegranate molasses (which I have on hand) make a reasonable substitute for tamarind (which I was unable to purchase)?

asked by Randi almost 3 years ago
516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

The pom. molasses will give an entirely different flavor - but one that will surprise you. Start with a little bit, then add to the taste you want. Then, instead of calling them "Dan Barber's Ribs", call them "Randi's Ribs". !

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

i agree w/ bigpan. my only focus was the other ingredients and especially the red wine and madeora. i think the molasses should do fine w/ those. Really, both the tamarind paste and the pomegr. molasses are very thick and very pucker-inducing citrus punch- packing so i think it's actually a good sub. As bigpan says, just go easy and add more if needed as you taste it cooking.....
BTW if and when you do seek out tamarind paste, the best product, imo, is a very thick (tar-like) paste usually found in a red and yellow printed plastic jar , in Indian stores. If you can only find the block or the jam-consistency tamarind, don't bother getting those. Indians tend to use it as a citrus sub that doesn't have to be refrigerated and which adds a flavor kick to food. If you have been served a sweet and sour brown syrupy mixture w/ pakoras, that is a tamarind (and date) mixture.