A question about a recipe: Dan Barber's Braised Short Ribs

I have a question about the recipe "Dan Barber's Braised Short Ribs" from Amanda Hesser. Would pomegranate molasses (which I have on hand) make a reasonable substitute for tamarind (which I was unable to purchase)?

• Posted by: Randi
  • December 28, 2013
Bd9d58a4 cc9c 4679 85a1 bacc43995ba3  5349824048 0f7d18165a z
Recipe question for: Dan Barber's Braised Short Ribs

bigpan
bigpan December 28, 2013

The pom. molasses will give an entirely different flavor - but one that will surprise you. Start with a little bit, then add to the taste you want. Then, instead of calling them "Dan Barber's Ribs", call them "Randi's Ribs". !

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN December 29, 2013

i agree w/ bigpan. my only focus was the other ingredients and especially the red wine and madeora. i think the molasses should do fine w/ those. Really, both the tamarind paste and the pomegr. molasses are very thick and very pucker-inducing citrus punch- packing so i think it's actually a good sub. As bigpan says, just go easy and add more if needed as you taste it cooking.....
BTW if and when you do seek out tamarind paste, the best product, imo, is a very thick (tar-like) paste usually found in a red and yellow printed plastic jar , in Indian stores. If you can only find the block or the jam-consistency tamarind, don't bother getting those. Indians tend to use it as a citrus sub that doesn't have to be refrigerated and which adds a flavor kick to food. If you have been served a sweet and sour brown syrupy mixture w/ pakoras, that is a tamarind (and date) mixture.