🔕 🔔

Maple syrup mold

I have some grade B maple syrup I got from a farmers market. I stupidly didn't realize it should be refrigerated after opening and it's been in my pantry for a month or so opened (I swear as a kid we never put our maple syrup in the fridge!!). This developed a thin mold skin on top. How safe is it to skim the mold off, strain it, boil it, put it into a glass jar in the fridge and continue to use? It's hard to get maple syrup where I am so really hoping I can salvage it!!

asked by CurioCook over 2 years ago
68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013

CurioCook - Toss it! This happened to me once and ever since I've stored my maple syrup in the fridge. Sorry :(

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

I would look on websites where maple syrup is sold for guidance. You might not have to toss it. Perhaps when you were a kid the maple syrup in the pantry was not real maple syrup?

This, for example, is from the University of Vermont website: If, after extended storage, mold should form on the surface of the syrup, the original quality can be restored. Remove the mold, heat the syrup to boiling, skim the surface, sterilize the container, and refill it with the syrup.

The issue is that one doesn't know precisely the type of mold in the syrup. Here's a response from a mycologist at Cornell re: moldy syrup.

Wallemia is ONE of the molds that might be found floating in maple syrup. Other xerophiles might be found there as well.

Whether to throw out the syrup is a hard question to answer. How much mold is there? Does this fungus make toxins in that sugary environment? Are those toxins produced in enough quantity to hurt you? Isn’t it frustrating that I don’t know the answers? I generally tell people not to eat moldy food. At least with a solid food (like cheese?) you could theoretically cut around the mold and remove it (but cut deeply, because the mold extends further in than you might think!). In a liquid, any emitted toxins can diffuse right in, so removing the colony may not remove the toxins. I personally threw out my moldy syrup without further toxicological analysis… but not without some sadness.

Here's the link to the Cornell mycology blog https://blog.mycology.cornell...

1f861b51 51a0 45e1 b0f9 f412f0ecc4ca  img 2300

Thanks all -- my childhood syrup was most definitely real. We used to get a giant metal jug from the local maple syrup festival. I've gone the UVA route for now, but keeping an eye on it to see where it goes. Trena - this information is very helpful, and exactly what I'm worried about…. ergh. I tasted a little and it still tasted good and I haven't died… yet ;) I'll see where it goes from here…. Thanks!!

Whoops - UVM not UVA!

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

curio, i have lived in new england all my adult life and most people have experienced that mold. UVM- follow them, per coookbookchick. Gosh, there are too many things one could worry about in this world and mold on a pure sugar item is not one of them, imo.

Had the same problem this morning, however, the syrup had always been refrigerated. Planning to skim, boil and save.