🔕 🔔

How do you clean a pot with burnt potatoes?

Help

asked by Jackie Lawrence almost 4 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

I find that soaking with hot soapy water is the only way. Periodically refresh the water and scrape the bottom of the pot

I use water and 1/4 cup of white vinegar. Bring to a boil and and then reduce to a simmer. Scrape with a wooden spoon.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

IF the above doesn't work. After a day of soaking.

Try covering the remaining burned bits with Hydrogen Peroxide and 1/2 tsp of baking soda. Bring it to a simmer..and turn off after it starts to bubble a bit. (it'll stink so open a window or turn up the vent).

Also...what type of pan? This works best on steel; I wouldn't use it on cast iron or aluminum. and I wouldn't soak it more than 20 mins on enamel.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I don't use burnt potatoes for cleaning anything.
Soap and water and elbow grease (as my dad used to say).

ATL

Infallible--put Cascade or other dishwasher detergent in the bottom of the pan. Add water. Bring to a simmer and let it go for a while making sure the water doesn't cook off. Everything will lift off as if by magic. Don't use sink liquid detergent!

see

I totally agree with using dishwasher detergent. This works well. Just lightly sprinkle the bottom of pot with the detergent then cover slightly with boiling water. Soak overnight and the burnt pieces lift off. I use either a wooden spoon or a plastic spatula for stubborn spots.

ATL, that's almost a little scary. What is in Cascade or other auto-dishwasher soap that is not in regular dish-washing soap? I nearly always get success with boiling water, like Pierino mentions. Sometimes I use vinegar or baking soda if there's still some stuff on the bottom of the pan, diluted with more boiling water.

ATL

Pegeen, not scary at all! If you used something like Dawn, you'd have a mess of bubbles and foaming over, hence the Cascade. Plus the granules seem to have their own effect on the burned matter. This really works like a charm. I was elated the first time I tried it.

First, make sure the potatoes are cool enough so you don't burn your hands. Once they are cool enough, just pick them up and scrub away I'm afraid you won't end up with a clean pot though...I'msofunnyicrackmyselfup!!!