Today's the last day of our NYC Holiday Market. So come see us! »
🔕 🔔

My sister recently found out she was allergic to corn... very allergic. She developed symptoms very suddenly.

Recently, my sister developed some very sudden allergic reactions to corn... she now has difficulty finding food that doesn't cause issues. Does anyone here have any experience with this? Any usefull references you can point me to? so far, my research has been very overwhelming, and I can't imagine what it's like to have to suddenly change your eating habits so drastically. Anyway, I want to help her out as much as possible. Any advice is appreciated.

asked by Benny almost 3 years ago
19f2e275 c635 488f 8322 530158a23e00  food52

So far, I'm starting by making her all the usual condiments that she cannot buy anymore. Ketchup, mayonaisse, etc.. I also bake her bread

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

I'm sorry I don't have any advice to offer you, Benny - I just wanted to say how fortunate she is to have such a loving, caring brother.

37c46e71 9105 4c1a 99b5 ca8c8f9fa3ac  photo 4

I agree cookbookchick! Without a trusted source for scratch cooking, she'd be in much worse shape. Corn and its derivatives are in E V E R Y T H I N G pre-made, with about a zillion ingredient aliases. Perhaps start by printing out and carrying a list of those aliases for food shopping? In addition to closely monitoring everything that she consumes, she may need to put some effort into repairing damage done to her GI tract as a result of the allergic response. Lots and lots of bone broths for the nutrition and healing gelatin, and raw milk, especially colostrum if you can get it. Perhaps also seek the guidance of a naturopath/functional medicine doctor to check for leaky gut, which may have created the conditions in her body that allowed the sudden onset of the allergy. I know it feels like a diagnosis, but it could actually be a symptom of a broader underlying problem. And, if you aren't already familiar with the Weston A. Price Foundation, and Sally Fallon's work, I highly recommend it as preventative medicine going forward. Good luck!

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Wow, Benny. I was curious about the corn allergy, so I goggled. Much insight, but I'm sure you came across this blog by a womn who has the same allergy: http://www.cornallergens... At least she why she hasn't been feeling well and that there is something she can do. You're a sweet bro!