What do you all make for your loved ones when they feel under the weather?

Typically it's chicken noodle or egg drop soup or a roasted chicken around here. Ice cream also seems to be a big mood enhancer as well. Looking for new ideas.

asked by Summer of Eggplant almost 5 years ago

Grooviness

Hot & sour soup! I use a modified version of America's Test Kitchen's recipe.

How and Sour Soup is great. I also like Coconut milk soup with ground chicken--and take a short cut using Thai Kitchen Curry Paste.

Sometimes, I just offer to do something for them (as they kindly do for me). Laundry, grocery shopping, an errand, ordering their favorite takeout and watching a favorite movie, proofreading their revised resume, etc. It sort of depends on what is going on with that person.
But back in the food lane... I think anything they can freeze or refrigerate and use another time, in case they don't want to eat it then - something that is convenient for them. A bundt cake, a shepherd's pie, great tomato sauce. One thing I always do is refuse the friend's offer to share the food dish with them (you know how it is... as you're dropping off your food gift, they're inviting you to eat it with them). They feel obligated to extend the offer. I think you have to play it by ear, but I usually decline because I want them to use the food when it's most helpful to them and not right away just because I dropped it off.

Rice porridge with a little scallion omelet or salted duck eggs. Just like Mom use to make for us when we were sick.

Depends upon whether said friend is ill or ill-at-ease. But chicken soup is usually at the heart of the offering. Sometimes brownies...

Egg-lemon soup or tom yum soup always go well.

jmburns

Tomato Soup and a grilled cheese. Have to admit velveeta cheese otherwise it is not like Mom's

jmburns

Homemade Tomato Soup and a grilled cheese. Use Velveeta Cheese so it is really like Mom's.

klrcon

Pasta with butter and cheese because my Italian Nonna's answer to pretty much everything from the flu to boyfriend troubles was "Ain't nothing wrong with you that can't be fixed with a nice plate of pasta'sciutta."
And you know what? She was right!

TobiT

Well of course it depends on the nature of the ailment, but you usually can't go wrong with a really good rice pudding. And matzoh ball soup.

Tapioca pudding also appeals to me when I am sick . . . Or toasted rosemary bread with butter and honey.

cookbookchick

My mother was a good cook but for some reason she always made Lipton's chicken noodle soup with those finely textured noodles for us when we were sick. And you know what? That still is what I want when I'm ailing - just like the Velveeta, otherwise it's not like Mom's. But I add a beaten egg to provide some protein - sort of a quickie egg drop soup. I do like to make REAL chicken soup avgolemono for others who are sick.

arcane54

"Happy-oca" is what we call tapioca pudding in our house. Not great if you're sick (too much dairy), but when I'm feeling low, it sure does the trick. I recommend Bob's Red Mill small pearl tapioca, too. Great texture and flavor.

sara diamond

This will do for what ails ya in our house: a really good homemade chicken broth with lots fresh herbs (whatever is at hand), spinach, carrots, a poached egg, a crusty cheesy chunk of crouton, and lots of black pepper. Oh, and a splash of brandy for the adults in distress.

Summer of Eggplant

Sara Diamond - I might make that this week, that sounds great. And I feel fine.

Won Ton Soup is my sick food.