Favorite healthy to-go breakfast?

I take an early, 2-hour train ride to an internship two days a week. I like to get out of the house quickly, so most mornings I'm just making tea to go and then grabbing something that I've made in advance to eat on the train. I've tried to make things like toast that I can wrap in parchment paper or oatmeal-blueberry muffins, but I'd love more ideas! What's a breakfast you can grab quickly and run out the door (the less prep the better) that's also good for you?

• Posted by: LucyS
  • January 20, 2014

Superyalda
Superyalda January 20, 2014

I'll usually default to a banana but sometimes ...
I'll bake a tray of improv whole-wheat carrot oatmeal muffins with walnuts and raisins, freeze them, and grab one. It defrosts in no time. That's pretty healthy and 12 muffins will last you 6 weeks :)

ZombieCupcake
ZombieCupcake January 20, 2014

Oatmeal smoohthie I usually do oats, blueberries, banana, almond butter, whey protein, greek yogurt and coconut milk in the blender then the bottle to my belly. :) If you don't mind your breakfast in liquid form it taste great and is very filling.

ZombieCupcake
ZombieCupcake January 22, 2014

Sometimes when I have a trip planned I also like to do hard boiled eggs, a piece of fruit (like apple or banana, basically something that is its own container.) and a bagel I like the cold.

Laura
Laura January 20, 2014

I've made something like this when especially when I'm looking for some protein. It's a night before prep, but you can simply pop it into the microwave before you head out the door. Rather tasty. http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/breakfastbrunch/in-a-hurry-omelet-to-go/

aobenour
aobenour January 20, 2014

Ham and cheese waffles: just a plain batter with a big pinch of dry mustard and lots of chopped ham and grated cheese mixed in. I make them 1/4 cup at a time in a standard iron and keep them in the freezer. Put one or two in the toaster while your kettle boils.

kimhw
kimhw January 20, 2014

Mini Flourless quiches. This is the one recipe that I kept after a failed Atkins week.
Make in muffin tins with lots of veggies, maybe some meat and cheese. I make batches and freeze. Then in the morning it takes 1 min on defrost and 1 min on high. It will stay warm for quite a while in parchment.

Smoothies are also very good.

Or get a thermos. Oatmeal or any hot cereal. Or use it to keep yogurt and berries cool. I bought a great one a few years back where the spoon has it's own compartment to keep it and/or your bag clean!

Dave on the grill
Dave on the grill January 20, 2014

Smoothies. There are plenty if recipes out there, just pick the one you like. Great way to get a burst of fruit, veggies and protein first thing in the morning. And most can be made the night before to grab and go.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen January 20, 2014

Bircher Meusli or overnight oats. Make the night before and just put into a Ball jar or other container to transport. With overnight oats you can microwave on your way out.

Sam1148 January 20, 2014

They might not be the healthiest...But I've made home made Egg McMuffins. With split toasted english muffins, Canadian Bacon, cooked egg (just folded over 'scrambled' instead of in the ring mold)..and sliced cheese.
These were frozen and then vac packed with a food saver. A quick 45 second warming in the microwave after defrosting in the 'fridge over night is about right for them.
Or this application:
http://www.pinterest.com...

M.McAwesome
M.McAwesome January 21, 2014

Rye crackers/toasts with cream cheese and avocado or smoked salmon. This is great because you can portion everything out (except the avocado, it tends to brown) when you bring it home from the grocery store and then take it with you. Takes some assembly when you want to eat it but by then you're on the train right?
Hard boiled eggs are my current go to breakfast when I don't have a lot of time. Or want to have something extra for later.
I also recommend some kind of hot cereal to go. This is something I very often eat at work. Lately I have been topping with nuts and dried cranberries and mixing in some almond butter. Mmmm I think I might do that right now!

Ali Bran
Ali Bran January 21, 2014

Overnight cold oats--oatmeal soaked in almond milk (or any non-dairy milk), mixed with dried fruits, nuts, and spices. My favorite is cranberries, cinnamon, and almond slivers, mixed with a tablespoon of flax or chia!

boulangere January 21, 2014

I'm a smoothie fan, too. I can toss everything into a blender, pour it into a to-go container, and take it off to work with me. I just rinse the blender and leave it in the sink. It's always waiting for me when I get home.

Here are some of my favorites:
http://thesolitarycook.wordpress.com/2012/01/13/luck-times-3/

petitbleu
petitbleu January 21, 2014

Smoothies have been a stand-by for me lately--I use coconut or almond milk, frozen blueberries and a banana, peanut or almond butter, bee pollen, and spirulina. I also read about a delicious-sounding avocado-mango smoothie in this month's Martha Stewart magazine.
I also second the muesli idea--soak oats and dried fruit in whole milk yogurt overnight, then top with honey and toasted nuts. You can also make baked oatmeal in mason jars (just bake it right in the jar)--I love Heidi Swanson's recipe, but you could tweak it quite a bit.

bigpan
bigpan January 21, 2014

Sometimes "healthy" has to go out the window in favor of a good ol' egg mcmuffin.

ATG117
ATG117 January 22, 2014

Another muesli and overnight oatmeal fan. If I'm using dairy, I'll
Often make my muesli with kefir or yogurt, and sweeten with honey as needed.

sara diamond
sara diamond January 22, 2014

I make homemade granola taht is very nutty and seedy... in a good way ;-). I package it at 1/4c. of granola and a tablespoon of chopped dried fruit to a half-pint mason jar and stack a weeks worth on the kitchen counter. In the morning I add a scoop of nonfat plain greek yogurt and then fill to the rim with almond milk. I drink my coffee on the BART train, and then eat my granola yogurt at the bus stop in the morning...waiting a while softens up the seeds and grains which makes it more digestible. Recently I have been adding chopped fresh apples to the mix. It is super yummy and good for me too. My commute is anywhere from 50 to 90 minutes door to door, on bike, BART bus and a mile or so uphill on the hoof. I could not do it without breakfast, but don't have time for breakfast at home, so he jar of granola is great.

Pegeen January 22, 2014

Hi LucyS. Good for you - hope your internship is going well! It's not interesting but it's healthy and easy to make in advance. Brown bag a yogurt and a banana. That will give your body much more energy than toast (unless you have allergies to those things).
While you're doing dishes or checking email at night, boil two eggs. When cool, mash them with whatever you like.... some herbs, spices, a tiny bit of mayo. Stuff into a small pita and wrap to go. It shouldn't offend anyone sitting next to you on the train.

Lauren's Plate
Lauren's Plate January 23, 2014

A perfectly cooked hard boiled egg should hold you over. My method is to boil bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Reduce to a simmer, and gently place eggs (I usually make enough for the week) and time for 10 minutes. Of course it depends on your stove for doneness. Then empty pot in sink and run cold water over for 3 minutes.

savorthis
savorthis January 24, 2014

I've been making muffins that have scrambled eggs, ham, corn and cheese folded in. They freeze well and thaw in about 30 seconds in the microwave. Otherwise, honey roasted pecan butter on toast.

K_Squared
K_Squared January 24, 2014

Breakfast Burritos!! I use this recipe by Shutterbean: http://www.shutterbean.com/2012/freezer-breakfast-burritos/

Make a dozen or more way ahead, freeze, then microwave for 3 minutes & run out the door! They're usually super hot, so by the time you get around to eating them they'll be just right. You can also make them healthy/healthier by switching up the ingredients however you'd like (low fat, no meat, egg whites, etc)

cindy
cindy January 26, 2014

I have a smoothie most mornings: 1 c. coconut water, 1 c. aloe vera juice, large handful of frozen fruit, large handful of mixed greens (kale, spinach or beet greens), 1 T. coconut oil, 1 t. green superfood powder, maybe a container of greek yogurt and that's it!.....keeps you full for awhile and is great for you!

stella
stella January 26, 2014

Hard boiled eggs with a piece of french bread!

LucyS
LucyS January 27, 2014

Thank you all so much for these answers! I am so excited to have so many options!

priti
priti January 27, 2014

Fage 0% yogurt with fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries) and homemade granola.