Cheesecake without Sour Cream?

I promised my father-in-law a cheesecake, but we are out of sour cream and in a very rural part of Idaho, where the nearest supermarket is a thirty+ minute drive—through the snow!—away.

What would happen if I make my cheesecake without the sour cream?

This New York girl is really missing the Duane Reade's on every corner right now...

Monita January 22, 2014

You will need to replace the sour cream with either more cream cheese or a full fat yogurt. If you have one of those then just replace with same amt

ZombieCupcake
ZombieCupcake January 22, 2014
Kels Murdoch
Kels Murdoch January 22, 2014

I'm actually making another recipe from Smitten, for chocolate caramel cheesecake. It's brilliant.

KimmyV
KimmyV January 22, 2014

So I don't have an answer for u but I am also in rural idaho and a former New Yorker! Where r u friend? I live in spirit lake. Not as rural as you I know. I have a small grocery store a few minutes away. I love idaho but totally miss New York.

Kels Murdoch
Kels Murdoch January 22, 2014

Hey KimmyV! I actually still live in Manhattan, but am visiting my parents as well as my in-laws, who live in itty bitty Grace, Idaho. My husband grew up here, and my family moved here from Southern California when I was 9. My mother (a wonderful baker and cook) and I went through some extreme culture shock the first time we visited the local market. It felt a bit like a time warp. We love these mountains, but one of my favorite things about moving to NYC has been that I can now find ANY ingredient I might ever want and stumble on to so many things I didn't know I needed in my life.

But the country around Spirit Lake is beautiful! We're from the desert region of Idaho. Have you found any blackberries and huckleberries up there? We used to go berry picking each summer near Riggins, which is a bit south of you.

Pegeen January 22, 2014

Eh, it's only 1/2 cup sour cream, said the New Yorker :-). Do you have time to make some creme fraiche as a sub? If not, I'd just substitute maybe 1/4 cup cream cheese. You could whisk it with a few tablespoons heavy cream to loosen it up. Hope your father-in-law enjoys it!

Pegeen January 22, 2014

p.s. How could he not love any homemade cheesecake in a snowstorm?

Kels Murdoch
Kels Murdoch January 22, 2014

Pegeen, I'm with you! He loves cheesecake anytime, so in a snowstorm, I expect it will be even more welcome!

And all is well, I actually dug through the fridge a second time and found *some* sour cream, just about a 1/4 cup instead of the 1/2. So we just made it, and added a caramel drizzle on top, just for good measure. Thanks for your help!

Pegeen January 22, 2014

He is a lucky man! Looks like a great recipe. Stay warm.

Joanne Mcfadyen
Joanne Mcfadyen September 1, 2016

I, was told, sour cream only makes a difference if you plan to freeze the cheesecake. Without the sour cream, I, find the cheesecake, more cheesier and thicker.

Nancy September 1, 2016

If you are w/o sour cream again & like the change of pace that comes from a SAVORY cheesecake, try this one which uses Parmesan (in the pesto), cream cheese & mascarpone, but no sour cream:
Epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Fresh-Fig-Mascarpone-and-Pesto-Torte-13233#ixzz1ow5axvks