Q: I want to replace chocolate chips in a recipe with unsweetened cocoa powder. What's the correct ratio?

• Posted by: @HBklyn
  • January 25, 2014

boulangere January 25, 2014

What is the recipe?

FoodIsLove
FoodIsLove January 25, 2014

3 Tablespoons of sifted cocoa powder to 1 Tablespoon of neutral oil (think canola or safflower) = 1 ounce of unsweetened chocolate. For semisweet chocolate use 3 tablespoons of cocoa plus only 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil and 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar (depending on how sweet you want your semi-sweet to be. Also, use natural cocoa powder not Dutched as the alkaline in the Dutched might effect the leavening in the recipe. I assume the recipe melts the chocolate chips? One final note, most chocolate chips have lecithin in them as a stabilizer; not sure if this matters.

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon January 26, 2014

This is a truly intriguing question. It really depends on the recipe. I love that *FoodIsLove* said, "3 Tablespoons of sifted cocoa powder to 1 Tablespoon of neutral oil (think canola or safflower) = 1 ounce of unsweetened chocolate. For semisweet chocolate use 3 tablespoons of cocoa plus only 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil and 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar (depending on how sweet you want your semi-sweet to be," But I disagree with the dutch vs. natural cocoa powder part.
Cocoa powder varies in so many kinds of ways, as do "chocolate chips," that without seeing a recipe/method, I don't believe there's a true "ratio."

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN January 26, 2014

Also, if you're using cocoa in place of choc chips in a cookie or cake, you can't do that w/o looking into the affect on the consistency and moistness of the item. It's equivalent to using nut flour instead of chopped nuts.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN January 26, 2014

p.s. whenever you ask a recipe question, it's better to link or explain the recipe.