🔕 🔔

Store bought pie crust for crostata

I have never used a store bought pie crust before, but I'm having an impromptu dinner tomorrow, and I have almost no time. I bought a good quality brand (its rolled up, nkt in a pie tin), and I'm wondering whether I can use it for a crostata. I don't see why not, but just wanted to double check and see whether anyone has tried it.

asked by ATG117 about 4 years ago

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I've never tried it, but it should work just fine.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

atg, if you want to give it a convincing home made quality, dust your rolling surface, and the pie dough, with whole wheat flour and/or fine cornmeal. gives some neat gritty texture to it.

69d2403d 88f4 4b72 b0b9 84a21f4d0561  img 1445

I have made crostata with store-bought pie dough before. I had no problems, other than the fact that the taste just can't beat a home-made crust :) But bake away without fear, your crostata will work with the store-bough dough.

Thanks all! Came out pretty great. The pastry could have been a bit more buttery, but for a time crunch, it was rather perfect. I may even try to upload the "recipe," which will as usual be imprecise.

Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Glad it worked, even if it wasn't optimal. Now that the crisis has passed and when you again have a moment, make some pie crust (I recommend Cynthia's/boulangere's recipe) and put it in the freezer for just these occasions.

ATL

Any time I use one of those crusts I roll it thinner and it works well.