🔕 🔔

Using frozen pie crusts to bake 10" deep dish pie?

I'm terrible at pie crust, so I bought 2 frozen shells for a deep dish pie recipe that will be made in a springform pan. Should I just defrost the shells and smush then into a ball and then roll to the required size? I realize this is an idiotic question, but thanks for any help you can provide!

asked by AllyK almost 6 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

What kind of pie is it and what does the recipe say to do with the crust? I'm more familiar with press in graham cracker or cookie-based crusts in he bottom of a springform, not roll-out types. Let us know and we'll figure something out!

It's and epicurious recipe. Here's the link:

You can view the complete recipe online at: http://www.epicurious.com...

It seems like I could just smush the two crusts into a ball and roll them out to the required size. What do you think and thanks so so much!

Yes that should work I think -- just be sure to chill it well after rolling, before filling and baking. And we love rolling dough between 2 floured sheets of plastic wrap -- it helps with sticking and tearing. One last question: to make your life even easier, could you just use the crusts as is, split the fruit filling between the two, and maybe double the crumb topping to spread across 2 pies? Nobody would need to know it was supposed to be deep dish!

I like that plan B, so I think I'll do it that way! The recipe made a huge amount of topping so I might even be ok without doubling it...I'll let you know how the "pies" come out and thanks sooooo much!