IT'S EASIEST, FASTEST, BEST WEEK! (WAIT, LITERALLY?) READ MORE »
🔕 🔔

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

Can't speak to the veg aspect, but this blog i find very good for recipes. You might also look at the 52 section for the Piglet Cookbook competition, as it shows the contestants for a number of years, and some may interest you. Ditto ther website for the James Beard Cookbook Awards.:
http://www.rotinrice.com...
I know people will come up w/ more ideas for you, and i will look more too.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

sexyLAMBCHOPx is a trusted home cook.

Have you considered, Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia?

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

I'm vegetarian and love cooking and eating Southease Asian food. Two cookbooks I have and like:

The Vegetarian Table: Thailand (this is actually part of a series; the Japanese cookbook is good too)

Vietnamese Fusion: Vegetarian Cuisine (not really sure why "fusion" is in the name, it's fairly traditional Vietnamese food adapted to be purely vegetarian)

I've also had very good luck adapting non-vegetarian recipes to be vegetarian, but I think it was helpful to have a more organized introduction from a vegetarian-focused cookbook. An important secret ingredient for vegetarian Southeast Asian cooking is a substitute for fish sauce, usually called either thin or white soy sauce. It is vastly better in this role than the more common dark soy sauces.

B7e12ca6 918d 46aa 88e4 bc782616b653  anguyen headshot blog
Andrea Nguyen

Andrea is a cooking teacher, food writer, contributing editor at Rodale's Organic Life, and a cookbook author; her latest book is The Banh Mi Handbook.

Vietnamese Fusion: Vegetarian Cuisine by Thai cooking teacher Chat Mingkwan is likely titled after the fact that a lot of Viet vegetarian cooking comes from Chinese traditions. Splitting hairs, perhaps, but Chat is being careful.

World of the East Vegetarian Cooking, by Madhur Jaffrey -- if it's still in print!

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I love World of the East Veg Cooking too!

Andrea Nguyen

One of the best way to approach this is to mine favorite cookbooks, such as ones on Vietnamese and Thai cooking. Look in the tofu and vegetable section and if the recipe includes fish sauce, replace it with soy sauce and a touch of extra salt. That's what I tell readers of "Into the Vietnamese Kitchen"; you can also sub tofu or tempeh, if you prep/cook it to render its texture ready for prime time. For readers of "Asian Tofu" -- there's a wealth of recipes to choose from and again, the obstacle is basically replacing the fish sauce or shrimp paste with soy sauce and/or salt. There is a ton of tofu cooking ideas that you can borrow from the Chinese and Japanese (e.g., mix in ground nori for umami!). If you can handle a bit of seafood, it wouldn't be an issue with finding a ton of Southeast Asian recipes to cook from. Vegetarian cooking in Southeast Asia often is okay with a touch of seafood involved via condiments; some folks are flexible Buddhists whereas others are hardcore. That said, when writing "The Banh Mi Handbook" -- I offer lots of substitutes as needed for sandwich fillings, condiments and the like. Thanks for asking!

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Hey, this is not really Asian but Deborah Madison's comprehensive vegetarian cookbook has a lot of Asian recipes. If you like old cookbooks, Kenneth Lo wrote a great vegetarian Chinese cookbook in the 70s.