What can I use for a substitute for Accent? (contains MSG)

I have a salad dressing recipe which calls for 1TBSP and 1tsp of accent. Accent contains MSG and my children love this recipe and use it almost every day.

nutcakes
nutcakes February 5, 2014

Usually if you don't want to use MSG you just omit it from a recipe. Have you tried that and how was the taste? It might need a little more salt. If you can post the recipe we might be able to make suggestions that might up the flavor quotient. Like Parmesan cheese, soy sauce, miso paste, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, fish sauce, lemon juice, lime juice or red wine vinegar off the top of my head.

nutcakes
nutcakes February 5, 2014

Also I see that Accent, while it seems to be primarily MSG and salt, also contains some seasoning:

Monosodium Glutamate, Salt, Chili Pepper, Tricalcium Phosphate (As Anticaking Agent), Spice (Cumin, Oregano), Paprika Extractives(color), Garlic Extractives, Onion Extractives, Yellow No.6 Lake, Yellow No.5 Lake.

You might add some general seasoning, Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning is pretty cheap and in most grocery stores and works well as a general seasoning and contains some of the flavors in Accent. Or a seasoning mix you like or a mix that doesn't have salt, like Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute. Penzy's makes many wonderful seasoning blends including, salt free seasonings as well as a salad seasoning I've not tried yet.
http://www.penzeys.com/

I'm really curious about your dressing and I'm always looking for a good one. I bet it is really old recipe, since it uses Accent.

Toni Sleddon
Toni Sleddon February 14, 2015

I have a recipe that calls for 2 tablespoons of 'Accent'. I live in the UK and it's not available here. Thanks for this information; I can make my own now and add it to my recipe! :-)

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN February 5, 2014

There is a neat msg-less product called Bragg's Liquid Amino Acids that you can get at Whole Foods and health food stores. Has a deep complex flavor that spikes the flavor of what you add it to (which is what Accent and other MSG products are supposed to do. My mom used to tell me tyhat when Chinese cooking entered the American mainstream cooking world, one of the TV Chinese cooking instructors used to hold up a jar of MSG to the camera and say, "MSG make watah (water) taste like Chicken Soup"!!!

Voted the Best Reply!

Sam1148 February 14, 2015

Do you have a rational reason for not using MSG? It's a naturally occurring chemical (Like sodium chloride)
And formal studies have found no link to the 'Chinese restaurant syndrome' people complain about.

In fact your own body produces about 40 grams of MSG a day---about the 1/2 the size of a Accent container. http://www.lakeconews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8884:foodie-freak-in-defense-of-msg&catid=1:latest&Itemid=197

But if you're just worried about MSG. You can soak some dried mushrooms with some seaweed and use that for liquid...but I hate to break it too you; if you do that. You've just extracted MSG.

702551
702551 August 18, 2018

Sam1148 is correct, MSG was originally extracted from kelp by Japanese scientists over a century ago.

A method of manufacturing MSG from vegetable sources was discovered and the Ajinomoto product line debuted in 1909. Today, the main ingredient sources are molasses and tapioca starch (per Wikipedia).

It should be noted that the Japanese have the longest lifespans of all industrialized countries on this planet. There is nothing wrong with MSG, either synthesized in your own body, from natural food sources (kelp, dried mushrooms), or high quality commercial products.

Peter Smafield
Peter Smafield August 18, 2018

The fear of MSG is simple a racist reaction to Chinese people. The science from earlier in the 1950 has been shown to be flawed because they didn't use a double blind test. When people don't know what is in their food they assume all food has MSG and show the same bad reactions they have heard about. When they are not told that many of American processed foods have MSG they have no symptoms. Check the ingredients on Doritos, Pringles actually any savory foods and you will see they contain monosodium glutamate (MSG). Going to include a YouTube video that you can go to and find out the truth. https://www.youtube.com...