Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

I want to make the 'Fig and Blue Cheese Savouries,' but I do not have a food processor. Is it possible to make these without a food processor? If so, will they still turn out as good?

asked by kristina.j.walton almost 6 years ago
7d6f1c7c 61b9 4b07 86e4 dbd4b1caeb8d  coopers

The fig and blue cheese savories are like a shortbread. I face the same problem (no food processor). You can always rub the butter (start with cold, small chopped butter) into the flour with your fingers (I would add the blue cheese after the butter is rubbed into the flour). It should turn out just as well, but it will probably take you quite a long time and you may get sore arms - to get a nice dough. The flour and butter (and cheese) should look like bread crumbs and then eventually hold together in a smooth dough. Good luck!

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

A good trick for getting the butter in by hand is freeze the butter, then grate it on the large holes of a box grater.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

You absolutely, positively don't need a machine of any kind to make the dough for these cookies. The recipe calls for butter at room temperature, and it's a shortbread dough. When I make shortbread, I often start with soft butter and I squish in all the other ingredients with my hands. Depending on the cookie, I either roll the dough into a log while it's soft, then wrap it, refrigerate it and slice and bake it; or I'll refrigerate the dough briefly and roll it into balls after the butter has firmed up, then bake the balls. This recipe is a perfect candidate for the slice-and-bake method.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

It'll be fine with a mixer, or by hand.

1a5966f8 979b 4c14 b3e3 3559d21267d3  profile

Thank you everyone for your quick responses. I plan on making these this Sunday, and I am very excited!