A question about a recipe: Classic Southern Buttermilk Bathed Fried Chicken

8a741c43 8c64 4753 aa65 221562521965  2015 0811 fried chicken alpha smoot 491

I have a question about the recipe "Classic Southern Buttermilk Bathed Fried Chicken" from Chef James. My chicken has been sitting in the buttermilk since last night. Can I let it brine until tomorrow evening? Change of plans and I won't be able to fry it up tonight? Please help.

asked by Franca over 4 years ago

I would not brine chicken any longer than 24 hours or the meat will turn to mush. If you can't cook the chicken tonight, I would take it out of the buttermilk, wipe off any excess, and keep your chicken refrigerated until tomorrow evening when you can cook it.

Franca

Thank you very much.

what HalfPint said. 48 hours or so is too long to marinate anything other than Sauerbraten. The meat will lose any semblance of texture.

Franca

Thank you. The last we want for dinner is mush.