A question about a recipe: Extraordinary Marinated and Roasted Chicken, Potatoes, and Chickpeas

I have a question about the recipe "Extraordinary Marinated and Roasted Chicken, Potatoes, and Chickpeas" from divasparkle. The recipe refers to "coriander." Is this reference to actual coriander herb or to cilantro? So far I have been unable to find coriander but able to find cilantro. Per my research, cilantro and coriander are not the same and may not be used interchangably. I found whole coriander seeds. Please let me know what I should use. Thanks.

• Posted by: Robin
  • February 27, 2014

Maedl February 27, 2014

Coriander and cilantro come from the same plant. Coriander usually means the seeds; cilantro refers to the plant's leaves and stems. In this case, you need the fresh cilantro. Don't discard the stems--they have lots of flavor and only need to be chopped up.

sexyLAMBCHOPx February 27, 2014

The recipe ingredient calls for ,"2 teaspoons dry-roasted whole cumin seeds" not coriander seeds.

Maedl February 27, 2014

And the next line calls for chopped coriander.

Selma | Selma's Table
Selma | Selma's Table February 27, 2014

Hello - Coriander leaves and cilantro leaves are the same - and do use the stem too. This is from wikipedia - :Coriander (Coriandrum sativum), also known as cilantro, Chinese parsley or dhania, is an annual herb in the family Apiaceae. " The seeds have a nutty orange flavour, which is totally different to the leaves. If you can't get hold of the leaves then use a little parsley for a much fresher flavour.

sexyLAMBCHOPx February 27, 2014

I stand corrected! Great recipe divasparkle.

Maedl February 27, 2014

If you ever grow coriander/cilantro, you can harvest the seeds young, while they are still green. They are especially fragrant and can be used in recipes that call for coriander seeds.

stinabee
stinabee February 28, 2014

Coriander is the same as Cilantro.
Coriander is the name used in Australia (where I'm from), & is the British English term for what is commonly known in the Americas as Ciilantro!