Recipe scaling

I would like to better understand how to scale-up a cake recipe. I have a recipe that calls for 3 6" pans and I want to bump it up to make 2 larger squares.

asked by Gina55164 over 4 years ago

One way to do this is by starting with the cup measure for each pan. a 6"x2" round cake pan holds 3.75 cups. An 8" square (x2") holds 8 cups. Your recipe needs pans that will hold 11.25 cups. So to put it into 2 8" square pans you might want increase your recipe by half

Or, if you don't know the volume by cups and the pans are approximately the same height, you can calculate surface area using basic geometry: for the round pans, multiply the radius (1/2 the diameter) by itself and then multiply that by 3.14159. Compare that to the area of the square pan using simple algebra. That's how I've done it for years. Works every time. ;o)

I use online volume calculators. A round cake pan is basically a cylinder, and a square one a cube:

http://www.online-calculators.co.uk/volumetric/cylindervolume.php
http://www.online-calculators.co.uk/volumetric/cubevolume.php

If you know how much batter will fill 2 6" pans, given the volume of the pan you want to use as well as that of the 6" round pans, you can easily calculate the percentage increase to fill the square pan.

LE BEC FIN

aj, Pi r squared
that's exactly what i've always done as well!

Pi times the radius squared calculates circumference of a circle, not volume of a cylinder, which essentially a cake pan is.

Catherine

All Recipes has a nice conversion table:
http://allrecipes.com/howto...

ATG117

Cynthia, I believe you're thinking of 2(pie)r