Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

Chipotle Infused Oil

0f9859d2 6882 4cd3 a0fe 31dd88208308  chipotle roasted sweet potatoes large

I'm looking for a recipe for Chipotle Infused Olive Oil. I want to make something similar to Alexia's Chipotle Roasted Sweet Potato & Vegetables. It's so good, and I want to make extra oil to cook chicken and other veggies in. Here is what Alexia says is in their oil: Chipotle Peppers, Water, Cilantro, Salt, Cumin, Corianer, Olive Oil, Honey, Natural Flavor, Soy Lecithin, Red Chili Peppers.

If anyone can recomend a recipe with similar ingredients I would be very appreciative!

asked by gaffagirl over 5 years ago
E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Hmm - well this is what I would do - get the oil very warm but not frying hot. Turn OFF the heat and add in all of the seasonings you are after - I would probably not add the honey (can add to taste with recipe) or salt (same reason) - and let all of that sit together until it cools, then I would strain it into your storage jar or whatever. I would also either use it within a week or so, or else store it in the fridge, because with all of that stuff added to the oil I would worry about spoilage.

I would probably make a straightforward oil that will keep. Maybe adding cumin and coriander seeds to this base receipe:
http://www.thespicehouse...

Then I would add the honey and salt when tossing the roasted vegetables with oil. When they come out of the oven, sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro leaves and stems. Sweet potato and chipotle do go very well together..

These tips are helpful. The oil that comes with the vegetables is frozen, I never even considered that oil with spices and dried chipotle would spoil. This will be my first go at infusing. Thanks so much!

Anytime you add organic ingredients to oil there is a chance of introducing bacteria. Making a hot oil infusion is safer than a cold infusion. Be careful that you do not allow any moisture into the mix. Here are some notes cribbed from an online discussion:

A bulletin from Tulare County, University of California Cooperative Extension states that oils containing fresh, low-acid ingredients such as fresh herbs or fresh chilies must be refrigerated and for no longer than three weeks; dating of containers is recommended

The Oregon State University fact sheet provides directions for a “hot infusion” method of preparing garlic, vegetable or herb flavored oils are provided; indefinite room temperature storage of the strained oil is allowed, with refrigerator or freezer storage recommended for long-term storage. If not all the garlic is removed, refrigerator storage, for no more than 3 weeks, is required. Refrigerator storage up to a maximum of 3 weeks is recommended for pesto, as it is for mushrooms or chilies in oil unless the latter have been pickled with vinegar or lemon juice

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

I'm not familiar with the Alexia product at all. Is the oil added before or after cooking? Usually when I roast sweet potatoes I coat them in olive oil, salt, and seasonings then roast. So I'd follow a recipe like this http://www.foodnetwork... and instead of thyme add the seasonings you are looking for, i.e. toss the sweet potatoes with olive oil, chipotle, cilantro, salt, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, and honey. I make roasted veggies all the time with the oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and maybe other herbs tossed in just before roasting and the whole dish is carries the flavor of the seasonings without the need to make a separate oil.
If you do make an infused oil I agree with other posters to keep the honey separate until cooking time. Botulism is the main bacteria that can grow in the absence of oxygen (in oil) and is commonly found in honey (and things that grow in the soil, like garlic).

I would suggest Mt Kofinas Olive Oil, Chipotle fusion! Great flavor and works with red meats, roasted potatoes, roasted vegetables and sauces!