Can quinoa be made in a rice cooker?

A colleague and I are demonstrating quinoa salad for a weight loss group in our clinic. We don't have a kitchen and I am wondering if I can cook the quinoa in a rice cooker. I love the salad when the quinoa is still warm and everything tastes very fresh.

Meg is a trusted home cook.

tyrannyofcake

I've done it before, a long time ago. I don't remember if I toyed with the water:quinoa ratio, but I do remember that it worked pretty well.

savorthis

I tried it and it worked, though I recall it looked a bit like it had exploded in there- it was all over the lid and sides of the pot.

Bill F

I honestly wouldn't recommend it. But you can buy a portable water heater. I have one my wife uses for tea. It heats up to a gallon of water and brings it to a near boil in a minute. I got it for about $12