🔕 🔔

Can quinoa be made in a rice cooker?

A colleague and I are demonstrating quinoa salad for a weight loss group in our clinic. We don't have a kitchen and I am wondering if I can cook the quinoa in a rice cooker. I love the salad when the quinoa is still warm and everything tastes very fresh.

Meg is a trusted home cook.

7a609a50 8972 46ea a6cd e9c209e3d690  img 8592

I've done it before, a long time ago. I don't remember if I toyed with the water:quinoa ratio, but I do remember that it worked pretty well.

Fca4e46d 262a 416c 8ce5 316470249de2  565101 1406091363 1702312332 n

I tried it and it worked, though I recall it looked a bit like it had exploded in there- it was all over the lid and sides of the pot.

I honestly wouldn't recommend it. But you can buy a portable water heater. I have one my wife uses for tea. It heats up to a gallon of water and brings it to a near boil in a minute. I got it for about $12