Cooking grains other than rice in rice cooker?

How do I cook barley, quinoa, other whole grains in a rice cooker? I have a no frills variety.

asked by allie over 7 years ago

Panfusine

it depends on what you want to make.. Yes I've made use of the rice cooker in making a lentil &rice porridge, Not tried it for other harder grains like cracked wheat.

Panfusine

It should work for barley & quinoa which are much softer 'grains. add a tablespoon of olive oil to the water to ensure that the grains do not stick together.

I've used mine for steel-cut oats, with good results. Supposedly much is possible -- waiting for more!

alowr4326

It works wonderfully!
I have used my rice cooker for barley, couscous, quinoa, steelcut oats, cracked wheat etc. just adjust your grain liquid ratio accordingly.

allie

Thanks, everyone - what ratio should I use? Same as if I was cooking in a regular pot?

prettyPeas

In my cheapo rice cooker, quinoa 2:1, steel-cut oats 3:1 (water:grain).

Panfusine

I'd stick to the same ratio, maybe a tad less, but never more. (the rice cooker in principle is simply a heating element with its own fitted container. Since the cooking pot is covered, the evaporation may be less, hence reduce the amount of water!)