Cooking grains other than rice in rice cooker?

How do I cook barley, quinoa, other whole grains in a rice cooker? I have a no frills variety.

asked by allie over 7 years ago

Panfusine

it depends on what you want to make.. Yes I've made use of the rice cooker in making a lentil &rice porridge, Not tried it for other harder grains like cracked wheat.

Panfusine

It should work for barley & quinoa which are much softer 'grains. add a tablespoon of olive oil to the water to ensure that the grains do not stick together.

I've used mine for steel-cut oats, with good results. Supposedly much is possible -- waiting for more!

alowr4326

It works wonderfully!
I have used my rice cooker for barley, couscous, quinoa, steelcut oats, cracked wheat etc. just adjust your grain liquid ratio accordingly.

allie

Thanks, everyone - what ratio should I use? Same as if I was cooking in a regular pot?

prettyPeas

In my cheapo rice cooker, quinoa 2:1, steel-cut oats 3:1 (water:grain).

Panfusine

I'd stick to the same ratio, maybe a tad less, but never more. (the rice cooker in principle is simply a heating element with its own fitted container. Since the cooking pot is covered, the evaporation may be less, hence reduce the amount of water!)

You'll Want to Eat These Soy Sauce Eggs with Everything

Game changed.

Momofuku's Famed Soy Sauce Eggs

From filling salads to warming soups, we've got you covered.

Easy Lunch Ideas

A weeknight slam dunk.

Miso Butter Skillet Chicken

Get Set for the Best

And why Sunday is, hands down, the best day of the week.

American Expat Life in Paris