Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

What would be the best way to cook a london broil so it is juicy AND tender?

I have a 2 1/2 lb "Angus Beef Round Top Round London Broil" to make today and my experience with this cut is it always comes out dry and tough. Can you help me fix it so it is juicy and tender? THANKS

asked by SUSAN over 2 years ago
84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

I broil mine on a pre-heated broiler pan for around 7 minutes per side, with a simple marinade first of Worcestershire, pepper, and crushed garlic cloves. Dry the meat and salt liberally just before cooking. One of the most important things for a juicy London broil, though, is how you carve it -- you're going for no thicker than 1/2 inch slices, cut across the grain. That is very very important, as carving across the grain makes the meat much easier to chew.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

If I buy London Broil (I usually look for labeled skirt or flank steak), I always marinate usually overnight or at least 4 hours in the refrigerator and broil in the oven on High or cook on the grill, weather permitting. I've read time & time again that the name refers to the type of preparation and its usually flank steak. My opinion, marinate, bring to room temperature and cook to medium-rare in a broiler pan on high. Cut thinly against the grain. I love flank and skirt steak and cook it often. If you're looking for a simple marinade, let me know.

Here's a sample marinade although I make one with less ingredients (no balsamic): http://www.yummly.com/recipe...

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Why it's called "london broil" I don't know. It's a flank steak. It's not called london broil in London. I use a a korean marinade http://food52.com/recipes... When I slice the steak after grilling I cut thin strips on the bias.

Thank you EVERYONE who helped me find an excellent marinade for my round steak.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Where I live, top round sold in a thick slab is called London Broil. Flank Steak is called Flank Steak, and Skirt Steak is called, you guessed it...Skirt Steak. So the nomenclature is apparently slippery and regional, as often happens. But back to the steak you have on hand, yes, marinate at least a few hours, cut fairly thin across the grain, and let it rest 10 or 15 minutes post broiler/grill before slicing it. It's just not the tenderest cut, but can be very tasty.