What to serve as a starter with Momofuku Bo Ssam?

A starter, appetizer, or dessert. I am not set on one over the other. I would like to do both depending on what I come up with. The plan is to make the Bo Ssam and serve with some stir fried veggies on the side. Maybe even forget the veggies and make a salad. But in that case, what should the salad be?
Anyone have any ideas?

asked by M.McAwesome over 4 years ago

lisabu

I made the Bo ssam recently and made the cereal panna cotta with cereal crunch in momofuku for dessert. . I made the clams and fingerling potatoes in bacon dashi from the book for a starter. Perfect meal.

ChezHenry

At the Ssam Bar, they serve raw oysters on the half shell as part of the complete Bo Ssam meal. I highly recommend.

My first thought would be spring rolls. You can make them ahead and keep them chilled.

M.McAwesome

Ooh Oysters! Unfortunately my guests are not big on seafood. So I will save that for enjoying with the leftovers. :D

Pierno, spring rolls sound like a great idea. Do you have a preferred recipe or resource for those?

Marie,the only essential is that you find rice paper wrappers and think of flavors that will compliment your bo ssam. You can include shrimp or tofu, carrot slivers, mint, cilantro and blah blah. Peanut sauce on the side is good. Present them halved in lettuce cups. David Chang and Roy Choi have been great inspirations to me. Choi is just a savant who breaks all the rules, like a SPAM bahn mi. What's with these Korean American guys? They are brilliant. They get your head spinning.

lisabu

You could also make the Korean spicy meatballs from this site. They also use the gochujang that you purchased for the Bo ssam.