🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Homemade Alcoholic Ginger Beer

836d6b22 5be6 4074 b54d 7f503bfe5429  14

I have a question about the recipe "Homemade Alcoholic Ginger Beer" from Catherine Lamb. The recipe says "slowly start to unscrew the cap just until the carbonation begins to release". How long do I let it hiss? Until it stops? Until I can compress the bottle again? Thanks!

asked by essbee over 3 years ago

895f8b4e aba6 4d93 92f2 1117a886850e  france

Hi essbee,

Good question! Basically, you want to release the carbonation, without completely opening the cap and letting in oxygen and germs. Slowly unscrew the cap, little by little, until the hissing stops -- then screw it back on tightly!

You should check the pressure inside the bottle EACH DAY by compressing it -- otherwise you could end up with an exploded mess on your hands. If you can compress the bottle at all, leave it as is. If you can't, it's time to release the compression, as I describe above.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you need clarification, or if you have any more questions.

Fa4b492d 15c6 4b7c b4a1 7cab467ded4f  20551 317194885420 4484151 n

Thank you, Catherine. That's very helpful.

Sarah