A question about a recipe: Homemade Alcoholic Ginger Beer

I have a question about the recipe "Homemade Alcoholic Ginger Beer" from Catherine Lamb. The recipe says "slowly start to unscrew the cap just until the carbonation begins to release". How long do I let it hiss? Until it stops? Until I can compress the bottle again? Thanks!

• Posted by: essbee
  • April 7, 2014
836d6b22 5be6 4074 b54d 7f503bfe5429  14
Recipe question for: Homemade Alcoholic Ginger Beer

Catherine Lamb
Catherine Lamb April 8, 2014

Hi essbee,

Good question! Basically, you want to release the carbonation, without completely opening the cap and letting in oxygen and germs. Slowly unscrew the cap, little by little, until the hissing stops -- then screw it back on tightly!

You should check the pressure inside the bottle EACH DAY by compressing it -- otherwise you could end up with an exploded mess on your hands. If you can compress the bottle at all, leave it as is. If you can't, it's time to release the compression, as I describe above.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you need clarification, or if you have any more questions.

essbee
essbee April 8, 2014

Thank you, Catherine. That's very helpful.

Sarah