Butter and brown sugar separating.. When making Carmel for chocolate covered matzah

Made it many times but today one time I get thick Carmel and the next it boils , I stir and then it separates and then won't thicken. Boiling for 3 min
Any ideas

asked by Krmrn over 4 years ago

Kenzi Wilbur

Hm. If you're in a time crunch, try it again, but this time with white sugar -- as far as caramel goes, it's a lot less finicky.

mainecook61

The recipe on Smitten Kitchen works every time. I've made it ever Passover. You definitely do not want to use white sugar---it's not that sort of caramel. The recipe on the site uses one cup of unsalted butter and one cup of light brown sugar. You bring this to a boil and let it bubble for 3 minutes, then pour it quickly over the matzoh. You don't have to worry too much about separation as it is going into the oven for 15 minutes. I just made a batch myself.
http://smittenkitchen.com...