🔕 🔔

Butter and brown sugar separating.. When making Carmel for chocolate covered matzah

Made it many times but today one time I get thick Carmel and the next it boils , I stir and then it separates and then won't thicken. Boiling for 3 min
Any ideas

asked by Krmrn over 3 years ago

5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Hm. If you're in a time crunch, try it again, but this time with white sugar -- as far as caramel goes, it's a lot less finicky.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

The recipe on Smitten Kitchen works every time. I've made it ever Passover. You definitely do not want to use white sugar---it's not that sort of caramel. The recipe on the site uses one cup of unsalted butter and one cup of light brown sugar. You bring this to a boil and let it bubble for 3 minutes, then pour it quickly over the matzoh. You don't have to worry too much about separation as it is going into the oven for 15 minutes. I just made a batch myself.
http://smittenkitchen.com...