🔕 🔔

How far in advance can I prepare biscuit dough?

asked by Kate Christiansen about 4 years ago

I'm not a baker. If you freeze it, it's good for months just be sure to wrap the dough air tight, it can get freezer burn or taste stale.

The problem with making biscuit dough ahead is that the longer it sits, the less leavening power it has. Chemical leaveners (either baking powder or baking soda plus buttermilk or other acid) start working the moment they get wet. So a dough that's sat a while before being baked won't rise as much as once put straight into the oven. Cold slows down the reaction, but doesn't stop it.

A better make-ahead solution would be to prepare the dough up to the point of adding liquid (essentially, homemade Bisquick). Store that mixture airtight in the fridge, then when you're ready add the liquid, shape the biscuits and bake.