🔕 🔔

cowpea leaves?

I'm growing cowpeas for the first time this year. A variety known as Ramshead Beans, very cool looking bean/pea. Apparently we can cook and eat the leaves.

Anyone ever tried the leaves? What are they like? Young or old leaves? What kind of recipes did you use?

Is there any health concerns that need addressing, for example are there any substances in the leaves that can cause toxicity in humans if they eat too much, and if so, what amount is too much for the average adult?

Any other thoughts on eating cowpea leaves?

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

I'm sorry you haven't received an answer to these questions yet, I wish I knew more about cowpeas! Where did the beans come from? Is it possible to go back to the source to get more information?