🔕 🔔

cowpea leaves?

I'm growing cowpeas for the first time this year. A variety known as Ramshead Beans, very cool looking bean/pea. Apparently we can cook and eat the leaves.

Anyone ever tried the leaves? What are they like? Young or old leaves? What kind of recipes did you use?

Is there any health concerns that need addressing, for example are there any substances in the leaves that can cause toxicity in humans if they eat too much, and if so, what amount is too much for the average adult?

Any other thoughts on eating cowpea leaves?

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

asked almost 4 years ago

012d983c ea5a 4b9f a942 a8f5dfcef8d7  ljh6675 web

Lindsay-Jean is a Community Editor at Food52.

I'm sorry you haven't received an answer to these questions yet, I wish I knew more about cowpeas! Where did the beans come from? Is it possible to go back to the source to get more information?