How many people does a two layer 9x13 inch cake serve?

Making a cake for a party and I need to know if I need to make two. It will be two layers of cake that I cut in half to make four thin layers, each sandwiching a thin layer of filling. There will be homemade ice cream to go alongside the cake as well as caramels. There will be 30-40 people at the party.

Monita April 28, 2014

I would make two cakes or supplement with some cookies. One cake probably serves around 12-16

bigpan
bigpan April 28, 2014

That size cake will serve four teenagers, or two lumberjacks. As for normal adult servings I usually count on a 2" x 2" piece per person...but it also depends on how much food you serve prior to the cake.

ChefJune April 28, 2014

It depends upon what size pieces you plan to cut. Since you are stacking up the 9 x 13 cakes, I'm guessing smaller slices might be in order. You might get 24/26 pieces out of it. But I would make an extra cake or some cookies to take up the slack.

boulangere April 28, 2014

I typically cut sheet cakes into pieces 2" x 3". To get an even number of same-size servings from yours, cut them 1.75" x 2.5", and you'll get 25 servings.

Kim Gearin
Kim Gearin May 4, 2014

The party was yesterday. I ended up one 9 by 13 cake and one smaller cake, but after I saw how big the 9x13 got when it was filled and frosted, I didn't even bother the fill and frost the other one! We have just a little leftover, which I had for breakfast. :) Thanks for the help!

ChefJune May 5, 2014

Thanks for coming back to tell us how it all worked out. Glad you had a success. :)