🔕 🔔

Why does my ragu taste sweet?!

Cooking Ox tail ragu for the 2nd time and It is continually coming out sweet.. Ingredients are tomato paste, rosemary, and some red wine.. You cock It with carrot and celery but remove this.. Would the rosemary or carrot make the sauce sweet?

asked by I'm no cook over 3 years ago

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

I'll bet it's the wine... What kind are you using?

7a609a50 8972 46ea a6cd e9c209e3d690  img 8592

If it's not the wine, it could be the carrot, depending on how much you add. Celery usually balances that out, but not always.

We'd need to see the whole recipe to figure it out. Carrots definitely impart sweetness to tomato sauces. Depending upon what kind of wine you are using, that could add to it (but somehow I don't think so).

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

Onions, too, can taste sweet when cooked. Are you using a lot of onions in the ragu?

Wholefoods user icon

What kind of wine are you using? Maybe it's too sweet. Yes. Carrots are sweet only when cooked, so maybe you use too many carrots? Not sure as I don't know your recipe. And red onions are sweeter than yellow, white etc.