I'd like to make ChezSuzanne's Rosemary Ciabatta with Stout Beer, but I'm not sure what malt syrup is? Can someone explain it? Any substitutes, or where can I buy it? Thanks!

asked by aussiefoodie almost 8 years ago

http://www.foodsubs.com...
I've read an acceptable substitute is combine 0.5 L dark beer with 500 g sugar and boil it to a syrup, but have never tried it.

TheWimpyVegetarian

Thanks for trying out my recipe! Malt syrup is Barley Malt Syrup. It adds sweetness to the bread since beer can be a little bitter, while contributing a little to the beer flavor. It also contributes to the browning of the bread. It's made from Organic Sprouted Barley and is a thick syrup often found in the sugar area of the grocery store. Substitutes for it can be either honey or molasses on a one for one basis. In terms of strength of flavor, Barley Malt Syrup is maybe half way between honey and molasses. Since the recipe only calls for a couple teaspoons, you can also just substitute with sugar on a one for one basis. Hope this helps! Good luck with it; I love to hear how it turns out!

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks