A question about a recipe: Penne alla Vodka

I have a question about the recipe "Penne alla Vodka" from DueSpaghetti. Any recommendations on what kind of brandy to use? I never buy brandy but I would like to try this recipe.

• Posted by: SMSF
  • May 5, 2014
689cb7eb b86f 4bd6 b7fe 8e86e2feecb0  2014 0415 wc penne alla vodka 013
Recipe question for: Penne alla Vodka

Pegeen May 5, 2014

It's such a small amount of brandy (1/4 cup), you could skip it and just substitute more vodka. Or just buy a couple of those tiny airplane-sized bottles of brandy at a liquor store: just tell the clerk you want a decent brand for cooking.

ChefJune May 5, 2014

When the brand I'd used for years was mysteriously no longer available, I asked several chefs what brandy they used for cooking (you do want something drinkable, but not Cognac). the "winner" by a longshot, was DeVille brandy. You can keep brandy in your cupboard for a VERY long time w/o danger of spoilage, so it's a good choice of liquor to have on hand for cooking -- unlike wine, which -- if you're not going to drink it -- will go bad. I do think once you try it, you'll find many other uses for it in your cooking. I wouldn't omit the brandy from the vodka sauce. I find it adds a roundness to the sauce that is unattainable otherwise.

SMSF
SMSF May 5, 2014

Thank you, June! The addition of brandy sounds really intriguing, so I'll look forward to trying this version.

Pegeen May 5, 2014

Hi SMSF - Most Penne alla Vodka recipes I know don't require brandy, including those from fine cooks such as Marcella Hazan. If you choose to make the dish without brandy, it will taste fine.