So we've recently started baking our own bread on a somewhat regular basis. I know it won't keep forever, but I'm wondering what is the best system that folks have figured out to keep the bread as fresh as possible, as long as possible.
Thanks

asked by babycook over 7 years ago

This was one of the first foodpickle threads. Check this out:
http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

betteirene

This was one of the first questions Amanda threw on here to get the pickle rolling:

http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

With more people here now, it's possible you'll get more answers.

betteirene

Great minds think alike. : D

I'm honored that you put me in that category. :)

Nora

What kind of bread are you baking? I keep the second loaf of my 2 loaf recipe (1 egg, a quarter cup oil, a half a cup instant potatoe) in the fridge while the first loaf stays out on the counter. Between toast and sandwiches, neither loaf gets much age on it, and the second loses only a wee bit of freshness.

If it's crusty bread made with flour, salt, yeast and water--best eaten within 24 hours, or in a nice bread pudding gooey mix.

Whatever happened to bread boxes?

babycook

Thanks. That's helpful.