🔕 🔔

Help! I was about to cook Stollen that I worked ALL DAY on yesterday and my oven just broke. Of course! Has anyone had any success cooking breads in a dutch oven on top of the stove? Short of carrying it to Queens or South Brooklyn to use a friends oven, I don't know what to do. No maintenance man in site either.

asked by thebreukelenlife over 6 years ago

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Yikes! Is it a yeast-bread stollen or a baking powder stollen??

You don't happen to have a toaster oven, do you? Or better still, convection TO. I've had great success baking in mine, depends on size, of course.

Good Luck!

0624510c 1686 4ede a338 3b866cf88999  sugar.board

it's a yeast bread. No toaster oven. Keeping thinking I should get one but never really needed it until now. This is such a kink in the day.

Ovens seem to break at the most inopportune times! I'd go find a friend/neighbor with a free oven. Maybe an impromptu xmas baking party??

What stage are you at? Did you shape it already? I wonder if you could freeze this dough?

yup, already shaped and let rise. Freezing isn't a bad idea. I could take it home for Christmas and then bake it there. Maybe I'll try one of the smaller loaves in the dutch just for kicks.

My oven broke on Christmas Day, two years ago. Fortunately, it broke in such a way that instead of it not turning on, it wouldn't turn off! I cooked all day, then Mr. T just cut off the gas valve to it. Then we bought a new oven, because it was so old and rickety, it wasn't worth fixing. The new range is amazing and has given me so much pleasure, so it turned out not to be such a bad thing after all. But I agree. Disasters do have a way of occurring at the most inconvenient times. I'm fascinated with what you end up doing with the stollen dough. I'd put it in the refrigerator immediately, to keep it from over-rising. But I see many hours have passed. Would love a follow up report! ;o)

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

I'm too late, too. Dang job!

You could have made muffin stollen or English stollen by patting the dough out to 1/2" thickness, then using a biscuit cutter or an empty tin can to cut circles. Let the circles rise slightly (about 1/2 hour), then place them two inches apart in a skillet that's been heated over medium-low heat. An electric frying pan set at 300 degrees works well for this. Lay a piece of foil loosely over the top of the skillet to help keep the heat it without too much condensation forming. Allow the muffins to cook for five minutes, then peek at their bottoms--if they're evenly golden, flip them over and let them cook until done, about 10 minutes total.