🔕 🔔

I have a small gas oven that continues to burn food on the bottom - what's the best way to disburse the heat? Would a pizza stone work?

I know that using the top rack and/or rotating food can help. However, the oven is so small it's nearly impossible to cook anything taller than roasted vegetables (i.e. bread or cakes) without using some part of the lower portion of the oven. Help!

asked by Nila 22 days ago

83b2f7bb 6d57 4b26 a96e f27f66b1e409  14355058 10103657439758468 7616383974552013464 n

I have the same problem because my oven coil broke, and the new one is too strong and uneven. A pizza stone might help, but I think baking steel or baking stone might be better. I don't have one so don't take my word for it but I think it's bigger and distributes heat over a bigger area. In the mean time, you could adjust baking temps and times. Depending on the recipe and how I feel about it, I decrease the temp by 25-50 degrees (yes, my oven is that far off!). For shorter things I decrease by 25, but for longer bake times I decrease by 50. Baking time has not increased beyond a few minutes for shorter things like cookies or tart dough, but I've had to add an extra 20min to some longer bakes. It's been annoying to fiddle with, by the bottoms of my bakes are saved.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Yes...but rather than an expensive pizza stone. Get some unglazed tiles from a hardware store and use those on the lowest rack.