CSA mystery item

Fffc4318 b7ad 45f6 85a8 89b501c5e387  image

This came in my CSA box today- the farm is in Middle Tennessee if that helps. I asked my extremely botanically accomplished mother and she had no clue what it was so if y'all do, let me know!

asked by WhileItRises over 4 years ago

bigpan

Looks a bit like tarragon. Rub some between your fingers and give it the sniff test.

WhileItRises

You are correct! I don't know why that didn't occur to either of us. Thanks so much.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I'm going to guess it's tarragon.

Bevi

Does it have a smell? It looks like the wilder form or tarragon.

It looks like it could be tarragon or summer savory. They look quite a bit alike, but tarragon has more of a licorice flavor.

haapi

Tarragon?

Tony S

Looks like Mexican tarragon to me. It is easier to grow in a climate like TN than the French variety. Careful, it has a very pronounced anise scent and flavor. I would suggest cutting the quantity called for in a recipe back a little.

nancy essig

It does look like tarragon. Eat some and tell us the flavour profile

irina

Tarragon for sure. Make white wine tarragon vinegar, bernaise sauce etc.
Chicken tarragon is great also.
Cheers