can you substitute yoghurt for buttermilk

just a general question about substitutes

boulangere June 8, 2014

Generally, yes. You may want to whisk a bit of water into it until it resembles the consistency of buttermilk so that your batter won't be too dense.

DeannaMarie
DeannaMarie June 8, 2014

This really depends on what you're making. BUT have no fear, you can make your own DIY buttermilk. Check this out for tips. https://food52.com/blog...

emcsull
emcsull June 9, 2014

have done, thanks. But I have this pot of yoghurt staring at me every time I open the fridge, and it has to go.

nutcakes
nutcakes June 8, 2014

Perhaps you should specify the purpose. Yes I do it quite often in baking for as good or better substitute. For sour cream as well I find them all interchangeable. Plain unsweetened of course.

emcsull
emcsull June 9, 2014

I was just thinking of substituting yoghurt for buttermilk in buttermilk pancakes, now that you ask. Might need a bit more baking powder, what do you think ?

emcsull
emcsull June 9, 2014

boulangere June 9, 2014

No, you won't need any additional baking powder or baking soda, the latter being the ingredient that neutralizes acids. Buttermilk and yogurt are of a similar acidity.

nutcakes
nutcakes June 8, 2014

Oh, I sometimes thin it with milk.