can you substitute yoghurt for buttermilk

just a general question about substitutes

asked by emcsull over 4 years ago

Generally, yes. You may want to whisk a bit of water into it until it resembles the consistency of buttermilk so that your batter won't be too dense.

DeannaMarie
DeannaMarie

Deanna is a Recipe Tester for Food52

This really depends on what you're making. BUT have no fear, you can make your own DIY buttermilk. Check this out for tips. https://food52.com/blog...

emcsull

have done, thanks. But I have this pot of yoghurt staring at me every time I open the fridge, and it has to go.

nutcakes

Perhaps you should specify the purpose. Yes I do it quite often in baking for as good or better substitute. For sour cream as well I find them all interchangeable. Plain unsweetened of course.

emcsull

I was just thinking of substituting yoghurt for buttermilk in buttermilk pancakes, now that you ask. Might need a bit more baking powder, what do you think ?

emcsull

No, you won't need any additional baking powder or baking soda, the latter being the ingredient that neutralizes acids. Buttermilk and yogurt are of a similar acidity.

nutcakes

Oh, I sometimes thin it with milk.