What is the best way to transport a small three-tiered cake on the subway?

I'm delivering my first tiered cake next week in Manhattan (i usually only do pies or cupcakes) and I'm having trouble figuring out how to transport it on the subway.
Help!

asked by Jacqueline Russo over 4 years ago

How big is this cake? Dimensions?

Jacqueline Russo

The largest tier will be 14" diameter

bigpan

Consider taking a taxi, hold the cake on your lap, and add the cost to the cake.

monkeymom

The the cab is a good idea! But be sure to support your layers. Before you frost, put in cake dowels or at least skewers (3 or 4) through your layered cake. This will help create some structure so that the layers won't slide off each other. Then frost. Remove them when the cake is being cut for serving.

Subway would be pretty risky. It's not the subway itself, it's the stairs up and down. I don't know how you would do that for a 3-tier by yourself. Agree you should take a cab (with another person for assistance) and add or expense the cost. Even in a cab, sitting with a cake on your lap is not an easy thing - definitely need another pair of hands and tell the driver to stay away from those potholes.

Shlee

Transport layers seperate in cake boxes and assemble on site.