My son has asked for a strawberry shortcake cake for his birthday cake. Does anyone know of a great recipe?

[I have time to buy a cookbook i.e. this doesn't need to be an online recipe]

asked by rosalind5 about 4 years ago

There is a good looking one on this site. It looks very celebratory. Just use the search function and search for Strawberry Shortcake. Yassey Arefi is the poster of the recipe.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Joyofbaking.com has GREAT recipes. I've tried quite a few of the recipes and they turn out perfect every single time.

You might check to be sure that you and he are on the same wave length in the definition of strawberry shortcake. Some think of it as a yellow cake of some sort with strawberries and whipped cream. For others, shortcake is a sweet biscuit piled with macerated strawberries and whipped cream. They are two very different animals.

For an actual cake, here is Yossi's (great) recipe: https://food52.com/recipes.... If you're looking for individual shortcakes, these are amazing: https://food52.com/recipes...

rosalind5

Thanks so much for these recipes! If anyone else has a proven recipe, I'd love to know.

To clarify, I am looking for strawberry shortcake *birthday cake* recipes - not individual strawberry shortcakes (not feasible for a birthday party for ~20 children!).

ATG117

Ina Garten has a strawberry "country cake" recipe I made years ago, and it was great.

ATG117

These strawberry shortcake ice cream pops were a hit:
https://food52.com/recipes...

In my world Strawberry Shortcake has never been a cake. It's made individually on a larger, slightly sweeter biscuit. And it is -- along with peach cobbler -- my favorite summer dessert. I realize that other regions of the US consider a cake base traditional for Strawberry Shortcake, but as long as I've been on the East Coast I've never been able to wrap my head around that concept.

rosalind5

In my son's world, strawberry shortcake "cake"= a slightly less sweet white cake filled with fresh strawberries and cream.

It's nothing to do with regional preferences (we love strawberry shortcake in CA too), just about making a five year old happy.

aobenour

America's Test Kitchen also has a great strawberry cream cake recipe. It is a yellow sponge split into three layers with whole berries, a thickened berry sauce, and whipped cream stabilized with a bit of cream cheese. I've made it several times and it is wonderful. It's in their book Blue Ribbon Desserts.

I so agree with rosalind5. Yes..strawberry shortcake means with biscuits, but we are speaking of birthday wishes, so who cares about regional rules. I totally get the difference between shortcake and strawberry shortcake cake.

Patti in Mississippi

When I was a little girl, we would have a dinner of Strawberry Shortcake when the Strawberries were fresh. Sweetened biscuits, ice cream, sliced strawberries and whipped cream. What a great memory!

What a great memory! :-)

rosalind5

OK. After much thought, I'm going with the cake from Yassey Arefi's recipe and the strawberry filling from the ATK recipe. THANK YOU all. Now that I've settled on this choice, the actual birthday party will be easy, right?

Stephanie G

It's probably too late but I love Melissa Clark's sponge cake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. You can find it on her column in NYT.