🔕 🔔

Natural food coloring?

I hate food coloring, but I've got a 4 year old that keeps asking for crazy birthday cakes and I don't want to crush her dreams. I've read very mixed reviews on India Tree natural food colorings, and I've read that beet juice makes things taste beet-y, etc... Any tips on good natural food dyes?

asked by Allison over 3 years ago

Think about foods that provide colors. Beets, carrots, berries, etc. However, most FLAVOR your dish as well. Hope this helped at least a little m

Beet juice does add flavor to things, but it may not be the flavor you're thinking of. It doesn't taste like dirt or like it needs some goat cheese to go with it. It's more like a tangy kind of sweet-vegetal-ness. It's a nice pretty pink color too. Adding a small amount of boiled, peeled and puréed beets to cream cheese icing is actually quite delicious.

Here's a great example of a cake that uses beets. It's pretty popular around these parts, especially for little girl's birthday parties.
http://www.nashvillescene...

Ha! I actually used to live in Nashville and have eaten Pink Radio cake, and this didn't even cross my mind!

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Hibiscus flower infusions are a very intense pink, and are probably more neutral in flavor than beets, a nice clean tart flavor. The color is so intense you might be able to color food without noticeably flavoring it. The dried flowers are easy to find at natural foods stores. Here's a recipe for the delicious hibiscus drink jamaica:
http://www.101cookbooks...
To make food coloring, you might try using a smaller amount of water to make the color even more concentrated.