🔕 🔔

Agar powder in mousse

I'm thinking about replacing gelatin with agar powder in a mousse cake recipe - will the consistency be very different?

asked by Julie over 3 years ago

I've tried this several times and I've run into problems each time at the same step. I dissolve the agar in a hot liquid (or warm), but when the dissolved agar hits the cold ingredients it immediately seizes up and my mousse (and lemon curd) gets weird little bits in it. I strain them out, but then I am essentially straining out all the agar I just used to give body to my mousse.

191e8978 8695 42e0 9a7a 5d1a1064b95f  photo 4

Hmm, sounds like I may need another plan, or should at least try a small test batch. Thanks!