Tasteless honeydew

I have a big honeydew melon with very little flavor. Any bright ideas for what I can do with it to improve the flavor or cook it somehow? Otherwise I have to try to feed it to the baby, or throw it in the trash!

asked by tellmeaboutfood over 4 years ago

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

I would try the Genius Roasted Cantaloupe Recipe (https://food52.com/recipes...) with your honeydew! That might help bring out the flavor.

tellmeaboutfood

Thanks! I did. I turned out so-so. But thanks for the inspiration anyway.

Puree into a soup; add lime juice, mint and honey for flavor

former Community Editor

Some of the ideas in this post (and the comments) might help: https://food52.com/blog...

I would add lime juice, mint and sugar and turn it into a sorbet. Also a pinch of black pepper. I find honeydews are often flavorless. That's why I generally opt for another variety of melon.

PazzoNico

Try a tiny sprinkle of kosher/sea salt. Sometimes fruit needs seasoning, too, just to bring that inner sweetness right over the edge. Otherwise, I like the idea of roasting/baking it with a little sugar or honey. Maybe even a little hit of balsamic or something. Acid works like salt to bring out hidden flavors.

PazzoNico

Another idea, try pairing it with another sweeter fruit (bananas, pineapple, etc.). If you eat them together, alternating bites, it sort of helps wake up your palate a little.

Pickle it, http://goodbadgirlpreserves...

Dave on the grill

I grill cantaloupe frequently, which really brings out the natural sugars and flavors. Also, I agree w the salt or try a little sugar on top. Or add it to a nice fruit salad, it adds a little crunch (think water chestnuts) and will soak up the other juices.

Declan

Adults ... Inject Vodka
Kids ... Go with the lime
Friends ... Both Vodka and Lime

Claire Vert

I would put it in a food processor and make soup. Possibly adding honey and your favorite citrus (maybe use ginger, cinnamon and cream or mint). You could also use it for a mixer for a cucumber melon spritzer
ChefThymeSavor

Under ripe/tasteless honeydew always reminds me of watermelon rind - so if it's not too mushy, maybe you could do an old fashioned watermelon pickle (which is made with the white rind,) using honeydew instead? Here's one recipe: http://www.epicurious.com...

mainecook61

What is the point of putting time and effort into produce that is inferior? Turn it into compost; feed the chickens; return it to the store and complain.

csemsack

Just feed it to the baby

These Impossibly Fudgy Chocolate Cakes Have One Big Secret

No butter, no oil -- just one magical ingredient.

Genius Chocolate Cake

Let's settle this once and for all, shall we?

The Best Carbonara, According to an Italian Chef

Holiday recipes from The German-Jewish cookbook

Break the Yom Kippur Fast with Salad

What's New in the Neighborhood

The four pasta dishes every Roman cook should know.

4 Classic Roman Pastas