🔕 🔔

What veggie to pair with Vietnamese braised baby back ribs?

Flavors of 5-spice powder, lemongrass, soy, ginger. I usually serve these with rice to enjoy the braising liquid but I'm stumped on the veggie. Steamed bok chop seems dull. And too much of the same flavors seems one-note. Looking for a compliment to the flavors

asked by rlucido about 1 year ago

MMH
MMH

You could serve pickled veggies - daikon, carrot etc as on a banh mi. I never tire of steamed or stir fried Chinese broccoli.

With a rich dish like braise ribs, pickled veggies like pickled mustard greens, carrots, leeks, etc cuts the fatty-richness and it a nice digestive too.

You can also saute any greens like spinach or bok choy with garlic & a pinch of salt. Try pea shoots sauteed with garlic which is so good with meat.

rlucido

Thanks all. What oil for the saute? Sesame? Canola? Olive?

I would use peanut, avocado (my new obsession) or grape seed oil. High smoke point and neutral flavors. I only use sesame oil to flavor things, never as a cooking oil.

@rlucido, sorry for the lateness of this response. Any mild flavored oil will work.

irina

Sauteed bok choy with garlic and a hit of siracha. Yum!

I like to cut my bok choy lengthwise in half or more depending on size. Then I char it in my walk or on the grill. Drizzle with soy and sesame. If you used your wok, toss in some shiitake mushrooms with garlic and ginger and pour those right on top of the bok choy.

I would do some sautéed dark greens with garlic. Maybe top with sesame oil after cooking. And some pickled vegetables or an acidic slaw to cut the richness of the ribs.