What veggie to pair with Vietnamese braised baby back ribs?

Flavors of 5-spice powder, lemongrass, soy, ginger. I usually serve these with rice to enjoy the braising liquid but I'm stumped on the veggie. Steamed bok chop seems dull. And too much of the same flavors seems one-note. Looking for a compliment to the flavors

• Posted by: rlucido
  • April 14, 2017

MMH
MMH April 14, 2017

You could serve pickled veggies - daikon, carrot etc as on a banh mi. I never tire of steamed or stir fried Chinese broccoli.

HalfPint April 14, 2017

With a rich dish like braise ribs, pickled veggies like pickled mustard greens, carrots, leeks, etc cuts the fatty-richness and it a nice digestive too.

You can also saute any greens like spinach or bok choy with garlic & a pinch of salt. Try pea shoots sauteed with garlic which is so good with meat.

rlucido
rlucido April 14, 2017

Thanks all. What oil for the saute? Sesame? Canola? Olive?

Susan W April 14, 2017

I would use peanut, avocado (my new obsession) or grape seed oil. High smoke point and neutral flavors. I only use sesame oil to flavor things, never as a cooking oil.

HalfPint April 17, 2017

@rlucido, sorry for the lateness of this response. Any mild flavored oil will work.

irina
irina April 14, 2017

Sauteed bok choy with garlic and a hit of siracha. Yum!

Susan W April 14, 2017

I like to cut my bok choy lengthwise in half or more depending on size. Then I char it in my walk or on the grill. Drizzle with soy and sesame. If you used your wok, toss in some shiitake mushrooms with garlic and ginger and pour those right on top of the bok choy.

ChefJune April 15, 2017

I would do some sautéed dark greens with garlic. Maybe top with sesame oil after cooking. And some pickled vegetables or an acidic slaw to cut the richness of the ribs.