enbe

mrslarkin, simple but brilliant solution to pre-portion cookie dough

wssmom

mrslarkin, you are the best! i used to individually freeze cookie dough cookies by wrapping each of them in wax paper; your suggestion of freezing of them in little cookie balls is SO much smarter!!!!

Montana Culinary Students

fourth the motion!

SarahK

Another way to do it is to freeze them in a log so that you basically have your own slice-and-bake. I wrap mine in saran wrap and then either tinfoil or a ziplock. I've never liked frozen baked cookies as much - somehow they just never get their texture back.

Thats brilliant mrslarkin, I love that idea. I always froze a big hunk of dough this is so much better.

Cookies can be frozen either the raw dough or the baked cookies. Some recover better than others. Oatmeal cookies (with or without chocolate in them) tend to do very well. Brownies should only be frozen after being baked and cooled.

Cookie dough, scooped. Stack the scoops on pieces of parchment about 12" square. Stack one on top of another. Be sure the scoops are snugged right up against each other. Double-wrapped in plastic wrap. This eliminates air that can freezer burn and dehydrate them. Pull out and thaw as many at a time as you need, bake them up fresh. Make a pot of very good coffee and share some with a friend.

Food odyssea

I freeze the cookies in a plastic bag. They will keep for a few months. But somehow, there are fewer and fewer cookies in the bag as each day passes. What could it be? I have a cookie eating freezer!

Dorie Greenspan
Dorie Greenspan

Dorie is a food writer and award-winning author of twelve cookbooks, her latest is Dorie's Cookies.

While most cookies freeze well, I agree with Mrs. Larkin that freezing dough is preferable. I, too, portion out the dough and let the individual rounds of dough freeze on a baking sheet before I wrap them airtight. As ChefJune mentioned, brownies and their cousins are not good candidates for freezing and then baking. However, choc-chips and oatmeals, sugar cookies and shortbreads all do well.

brooklynite

Thank you all--I can now plan my holiday baking accordingly! Great suggestion about freezing individual rounds.

pamelalee

When you bake cookie dough that has been frozen, do you put them straight in the oven without thawing? If so, is the baking time going to be longer?

Yes, I put my frozen chocolate chip cookie balls straight in the oven without thawing. It does take a few extra minutes to bake. Same goes for most other cookies, I would imagine. The only thing I would make sure to do is, if it's a cookie that needs to be pressed down, say with the tines of a fork or the bottom of a glass or something, do that before you freeze the raw cookies.